1. Am I allowed to take pets to the Netherlands?
If you’re travelling with your own means of transport, there’s no problem bringing your pet on holiday to the Netherlands but get in contact with your airline company to get instructions.
2. What is the capital of the Netherlands?
Amsterdam is the capital of the Netherlands.
3. What is the drug policy in the Netherlands?
The Netherlands has a tolerant drug policy. All drugs are banned, but smoking cannabis is tolerated under strict conditions.
4. What are the best known public holidays in the Netherlands?
Dutch people celebrate the following public holidays in the Netherlands:
- January 1 – New Year’s Day.
- Easter Sunday and Easter Monday.
- April 27 is King’s Day, every year.
- Ascension Day.
- Whit Sunday and Whit Monday.
- Christmas on December 25 and 26.
5. Are ‘Holland’ and ‘the Netherlands’ the same?
Holland is part of the Netherlands and is also used as a synonym for the Netherlands.
6. Why does the Dutch soccer team wear orange?
Because of the house of Orange. Orange is the Netherlands’ national colour because of the house of Orange, the Dutch royal line. William of Orange (William I, prince of Orange 1533-84) was the principal founder of Dutch independence in 1597. The Dutch royal family belongs to the house of Orange, and the Dutch flag, which is red, white and blue (like the French but turned 90 degrees), has an orange banner. King Willem-Alexander became the reigning monarch of the Netherlands in 2013 when his mother, Queen Beatrix, abdicated.
7. What town in the province of Utrecht has given its name to a borough of New York?
Breukelen. Breukelen has transformed into Brooklyn. Vlissingen (Flushing) lies in the province of Zeeland. Waalwijk hasn’t exported its name at all and Oranjedorp does not exist.
8. The Netherlands is also known as Holland. What did Holland originally mean?
Woodland. Holland probably derives from the old Dutch holt lant “wood land”.
9. What is the Dutch city of light?
Eindhoven. Dutch electronic giant Philips, now based in Amsterdam by the way, started as a company making lightbulbs.
10. What is the capital of Noord Holland?