Every August Amsterdammers celebrate the equality of straight, gay, lesbian and transgender people. Amsterdam Gay Pride is considered to be one the best and biggest Gay Prides in the world. Traditionally it lasts from the last Saturday of July until the first Sunday of August. More than 500.000 people come from all over the world to take part in Gay Pride. The city is a vibrant rainbow of events, with dance parties, film screenings, sporting events, debates, exhibitions and much more that are of course open for everyone.
One of its top highlights is the Canal Parade. Amsterdam Pride is the only capital city in the world that features a Pride parade on water! Instead of the usual march with floats and groups of people marching through the streets of a city, Amsterdam’s parade travels a route through the city’s historic centre along its canals. Thousands of people stand along the canals to see the parade and celebrate equal rights for all. It is Dutch way of showing that it welcomes and accepts people of all sexual orientations.
Numerous activities take place in Amsterdam during the Pride period. There are also big parties in several places throughout the city. The Reguliersdwarsstraat (just a few minutes away from our hotel) in particular is the place to be! The street is well known for its countless LGBTI-friendly bars and clubs. You can also party until the early hours on Rembrandt Square.
In the main pride weekend street parties and main dance parties take place but pride events take place from the last week of July till the 7th of August 2022.
Here are some of the agenda highlights where to drink, dance and party during the Pride Weekend:
- Sat 30 Jul 2022: Opening party of the Amsterdam Gay Pride at the Vondelpark. Including DJ’s, speeches, performances and a ‘Rainbow Market’ with different stalls of companies and organizations in the LGBTQ-community.
- Sat 30-31 Jul 2022: Milkshake Festival is a 2 day open minded 2 day outdoor dance festival with 6 stages and loads of DJ’s, performances and fun. The location is outdoors at Westerpark Amsterdam.
- Fri 5 Aug 2022: Funhouse, 2 final nights at the XXL Gashouder complex
- Sat 6 Aug 2022: The Canal Parade is the highlight of the Amsterdam Gay Pride weekend! 80 decorated boats sail along the Prinsengracht. The parade starts at 12:30 at Oosterdok(near the Central Station) and the route follows Amstel and Prinsengracht to Westerdok. The event is the second biggest of Amsterdam. Thousands of spectators get early to the canals for the best spot. Many guys have private parties on small boats on the side of the canal.
- Sun 7 Aug 2022: Rapido, large and popular circuit gay dance party, starting in the afternoon.
- Sun 7 Aug 2022: Pride Closing Party all scenes come together for the official closing party on the last Sunday afternoon of the Pride weekend. On an outdoor stage in front of the Royal Palace at Dam square, many famous Dutch and international artists perform their songs, together with DJ’s with the latest dance tunes.